417 visa tax return - time restrictions

Ask a question
Highlighted

I'm new

Views 875

Replies 1

Hello everybody
I need help please
I'm helping a friend who has returned home after working here on a 417 visa...... what is the time frame of being able to enter a tax return
He seems to think the deadline is the day you started work (obviously a year after that)
Is there a deadline where he will end up with no money if it's not entered in time ?

Thank you!!!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @Fishypants

Tax returns cover the financial year from 1 July to 30 June, and if you’re lodging your own, they are due by the 31 October 2017 deadline.

The easiest and fastest way to lodge your tax return is online using myTax.

To lodge online you'll need a myGov account linked to the ATO.

As a first time lodger, there are a few steps you need to follow:

Step 1 – Have your tax file number (TFN) handy.

Step 2 – Create a myGov account.

Step 3 –  Call +612 6216 3444, 8am–1am, Monday–Friday and 10am-8pm on Saturday (AEDT) except national public holidays - Overseas enquiry (MyGOV) request a linking code, We will need to go through privacy questions to identify your friend, Please let him know he will need his tax file number when he calls.

Step 4 – Sign in to myGov, go to the Services page and link to the ATO. Select I have a linking code and follow the instructions as prompted.

Please see , https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Lodging-your-tax-return/Lodging-your-first-tax-return/

Working holiday makers (417 Visa) are taxed at 15% from the first dollar earned, regardless of their residency status. Working holiday makers can't claim the tax-free threshold in Australia from 01/01/2017

Regards, Tracey

Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time
1 REPLY 1

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @Fishypants

Tax returns cover the financial year from 1 July to 30 June, and if you’re lodging your own, they are due by the 31 October 2017 deadline.

The easiest and fastest way to lodge your tax return is online using myTax.

To lodge online you'll need a myGov account linked to the ATO.

As a first time lodger, there are a few steps you need to follow:

Step 1 – Have your tax file number (TFN) handy.

Step 2 – Create a myGov account.

Step 3 –  Call +612 6216 3444, 8am–1am, Monday–Friday and 10am-8pm on Saturday (AEDT) except national public holidays - Overseas enquiry (MyGOV) request a linking code, We will need to go through privacy questions to identify your friend, Please let him know he will need his tax file number when he calls.

Step 4 – Sign in to myGov, go to the Services page and link to the ATO. Select I have a linking code and follow the instructions as prompted.

Please see , https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Lodging-your-tax-return/Lodging-your-first-tax-return/

Working holiday makers (417 Visa) are taxed at 15% from the first dollar earned, regardless of their residency status. Working holiday makers can't claim the tax-free threshold in Australia from 01/01/2017

Regards, Tracey

Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time
Top Solution Authors