Announcements
If you haven't been able to get your JobKeeper enrolment in, no need to worry. You can call us until 5 June and we can help you get it submitted.

ATO Community

48% tax

Highlighted

Views 569

Replies 2

Hi, I have just started working for this company last week and have received my first pay check. I’m working through my tfn on casual employment. I have been taxed around 48% which surely cannot be right. This is the first job I have had here in Australia this tax year. I’m currently on a bridging visa awaiting the response from my defacto visa (820/801) I have full working rights. I am not even going to hit the 18k tax free threshold this year either. I don’t understand how I could possibly be taxed that much. to my understanding even if I wasn’t classed as an Australian resident for tax purposes the tax rate is only 37% and I’ve been taxed even more than that somehow. What tax rate am I supposed to be on? I am 99.99% sure I’m classed as an Australian resident for tax purposes. Also does that mean I won’t get any of that 48% tax back befor end of tax year come start of July?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Taxicorn

Replies 1

That certainly looks too high.

When you started you would have filled out a Tax File Declaration Form.

I would ask to check what you have ticked because you may have accidently ticked the wrong boxes i.e.

(7)  A Foreign Resident or Working Holiday Maker

(8) Do you want to claim the tax free threshhold (No box).

(9) Do you Have a HELP, SSL or TSL Loan?

If you have paid too much tax than you should have, any excess will be paid back to you when you lodge your 2019 tax return.

Also check your Fortnightly pay/tax against the table in here

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Best answer

Taxicorn

Replies 1

That certainly looks too high.

When you started you would have filled out a Tax File Declaration Form.

I would ask to check what you have ticked because you may have accidently ticked the wrong boxes i.e.

(7)  A Foreign Resident or Working Holiday Maker

(8) Do you want to claim the tax free threshhold (No box).

(9) Do you Have a HELP, SSL or TSL Loan?

If you have paid too much tax than you should have, any excess will be paid back to you when you lodge your 2019 tax return.

Also check your Fortnightly pay/tax against the table in here

Highlighted

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Graeme2,

Welcome to our Community.

To assist you to determine if the correct amount of tax has been withheld refer to the appropriate tax table on our website, to help determine if the correct amount of tax is being withheld.

If you need to determine if you're an Australian citizen for tax purposes use our decision tool on our website.

As @macfanboy has suggested maybe checking what you have ticked on your Tax File declaration form may assist. If you find there is an error and you want to change the amount of tax your employer is withholding from your pay, you can complete a Withholding declaration

When you lodge your income tax return we will work out the total tax payable based on the information you provide, your notice of assessment will advise if there is an amount payable or a refund due.

For further information, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with a customer service representative.

Hope this helps you, SueO