ATO Community

Au Pair

Ask a question
Highlighted

I'm new

Views 365

Replies 2

My husband and I would like to hire an au pair to live with us. They will be here to help us with day to day life with kids. Drop off kids and pick them up from school and help prepare lunches. Other than that though they are free to use our car for their own site seeing and travelling, we would be treating them as part of our family. Invited to all family activities and we would be paying for them if we go out for dinner or movies etc.

Would this be classed as an employee situation? I have gone through the website but it all seems a bit vague and I can't find much clarification around the cultural exchange. We really want to give our Au Pair an Aussie experience but not sure where we stand in regards to tax obligations

Thanks, hope this makes sense.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Michelle2019,

Welcome to our Community!

We can provide general information about tax and super topics here, and as we don't know all the details about your situation we can't provide a definite answer. However, we have answered a query about Au Pairs previously on our Community.

If you're still unsure of your situation and you'd like to receive a more tailored response, you can contact our  Early engagement team by submitting a request for or requesting a call back and an officer will contact you to discuss your situation further. Alternatively, you can write to us to request a private ruling.

If you have general queries, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

Thanks, JodieH.

2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous

Replies 1

Hi @Michelle2019 

The answer to your question is not straight forward and will depend on the exact circumstances of the working relationship with the Au Pair.

In fact this issue can get rather confusing for most, have a look at this ATO private ruling and you will see what I mean.

To get a proper answer to your question I suggestion you apply for an ATO Private Ruling so you get it right the first time and this will give you the opportunity to discuss with the ATO officer that is going to provide the response.

ATO 13 28 65

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Michelle2019,

Welcome to our Community!

We can provide general information about tax and super topics here, and as we don't know all the details about your situation we can't provide a definite answer. However, we have answered a query about Au Pairs previously on our Community.

If you're still unsure of your situation and you'd like to receive a more tailored response, you can contact our  Early engagement team by submitting a request for or requesting a call back and an officer will contact you to discuss your situation further. Alternatively, you can write to us to request a private ruling.

If you have general queries, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

Thanks, JodieH.

Top Solution Authors