• 125 Online
  • 22066 Members
  • 24644 Posts

ATO Community

Can I refund my tax? i have student visa

Ask a question

Views 4733

Replies 7

I am Indonesian with student visa. i find it difficult to understand about tax in australia. short story, my friend worked legally using TFN since 11 December 2017 (still 1 week). With a salary of 18 per hour and 20 hours a week. I want to know :

1. How much should he pay? because in the pay slip, he got a considerable tax.

2. whether the taxes he paid can be refunded 100%?

3. if possible, when and in what month can he refund?

please inform me

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 6

Hi @Anawahyu12

Welcome to the ATO online community.

When you start working with an employer in Australia you need to complete a TFN declaration, your employer needs to send a copy of the form to the ATO and keep a copy for themselves so they know how they have to tax you.

The amount you are taxed is in the tax tables, if you click on https://www.ato.gov.au/Rates/Tax-tables/

Your friend could be a working hoilday maker, Please see https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/international-tax-for-individuals/coming-to-australia/working-hol...

You are a working holiday maker if you have a visa subclass:

• 417 (Working Holiday)
  • 462 (Work and Holiday).

The other thing is your friend maybe a 'Non-resident', he/she would need to determine his residency status, that would help determine if he/she is paying the correct amount of taxed based on their circumstances

Australian resident or foreign resident?

Most people who come to Australia for a working holiday or to visit are foreign residents for tax purposes. This includes people on visa subclass 417 (Working Holiday) or 462 (Work and Holiday) (backpackers).

See also:

At the end of the financial year a tax return will need to be lodged (01/07/2017-30/06/2018) When they lodge the tax return depending on each persons circumstances they may to pay additonal tax or we will refund the tax they have overpaid.

Please see, https://www.ato.gov.au/rates/individual-income-tax-rates/?=top_10_rates

Regards, Tracey

Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time
7 REPLIES 7

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 6

Hi @Anawahyu12

Welcome to the ATO online community.

When you start working with an employer in Australia you need to complete a TFN declaration, your employer needs to send a copy of the form to the ATO and keep a copy for themselves so they know how they have to tax you.

The amount you are taxed is in the tax tables, if you click on https://www.ato.gov.au/Rates/Tax-tables/

Your friend could be a working hoilday maker, Please see https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/international-tax-for-individuals/coming-to-australia/working-hol...

You are a working holiday maker if you have a visa subclass:

• 417 (Working Holiday)
  • 462 (Work and Holiday).

The other thing is your friend maybe a 'Non-resident', he/she would need to determine his residency status, that would help determine if he/she is paying the correct amount of taxed based on their circumstances

Australian resident or foreign resident?

Most people who come to Australia for a working holiday or to visit are foreign residents for tax purposes. This includes people on visa subclass 417 (Working Holiday) or 462 (Work and Holiday) (backpackers).

See also:

At the end of the financial year a tax return will need to be lodged (01/07/2017-30/06/2018) When they lodge the tax return depending on each persons circumstances they may to pay additonal tax or we will refund the tax they have overpaid.

Please see, https://www.ato.gov.au/rates/individual-income-tax-rates/?=top_10_rates

Regards, Tracey

Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time

Replies 5

thanks for your explanation, Tracey.

my friend has a student visa that allows her to work 20 hours a week. what is his status as an international student working in australia, he has the right to reimburse the taxes he has paid since 11 December 2017 on June 30, 2018 later? and if the gross income he earns (December 11, 2017 to June 30, 2018) is less than $ 18,200, is the tax he paid he can refund 100%?

Devotee

Replies 4

If your friend is regarded as a ' Resident of Australia for working purposes" then yes the $18,200 tax free threshold would be applicable. The residency tool should be done to determine the residency status

Work out your residency status

If you are in Australia for:

If you friend is leaving Australia permantly then they can lodge a tax return before they return home, Please see https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/International-tax-for-individuals/Going-overseas/Lodging-your-tax...

Replies 3

Thanks again Tracey, after I submit his data in Are you a resident?This link opens in a new window his result is "You are a resident of Australia for taxation purposes."

And maybe this December 2017 until 30 June 2018 he get less then $18,200. So, he can lodge a tax return, right?

and if this December 2017 until 30 June 2018 he totally paid $1200 for his tax, is he can get back $1200 after he lodge  a  tax return in 30 June 2018?

Devotee

Replies 2

Thanks for the reply @Anawahyu12

Yes, the first $18,200 would be tax free and they have had tax withheld so they are required to lodge a tax return. When they lodge a tax return they would get a refund ( this can change depending on individual circumstances) , If they are leaving Australia before 30/06/2018 they are able to lodge a tax return before they leave.

If they are not planning to return to Australia then they need to make sure they mark that its the final return so that they do not have to lodge a return for future financial years.

Replies 1

okay i understand. so, suppose my friend still has plans to stay in Australia until september 2019, because his visa's period is 2 years. i want to know:
1. whether the lodge a tax refund (from December 2017 to June 2019) is June 2019? (once during his time in Australia) 
2. if june 2018 he filed a tax return, is it allowed if june 2019 he filed again? I mean, can he lodge a tax return twice during his time in Australia or once in every year?

Thanks

Devotee

Replies 0

We are in the financial year 2018, Any income earned between 01/07/2017 to 30/06/2018 would need to be lodged in 2018

01/07/2018 -30/06/2019 would need to be lodged in 2019 ( before they leave)

If they are being taxed to high they need to check the information they completed in the TFN declaration they gave the employer, They may have marked they was a non resident or said no to the tax free threshold.

The $18,200 tax-free threshold is equivalent to:

• $350 a week
  • $700 a fortnight
  • $1,517 a month.
Top Solution Authors