Announcements
We understand that 2020 has been a difficult year but we're here to try and make it a little easier for you during tax time. You can search other people's posts, read our articles or ask your own question.

ATO Community

Foreign Income Offset Limit

Highlighted

Views 753

Replies 3

Hi, I'm an Australian resident living and working in Canada. I'm on a 2 year working Visa since 2018 where I earned income from December 2018 - April 2019.

I was a resident for tax purposes in Australia for the July 2018 - June 2019 tax year.

I completed a tax return in Canada for the one month I worked during their tax year Jan 2019 - Dec 2018 (So just December 2018).

I have also paid tax in the current 2019 Canadian tax year which has yet to finish so I have not yet completed a 2019 Canadian tax return.

I assumed I would still need to include the 2019 tax paid from Canada although not yet returned. 

So based on that I calculated a foreign tax income of over $1000 thereby being required to calculate a foreign income offset limit.

Here's where I get confused.

I've followed the 'Calculating your offset limit' steps on your website, I've calculated my Taxable Income: $49,894 and my Foreign Income Tax Paid: $1,063.77 but the examples on your website don't show certain workings and where certain numbers come from or how to do it for my tax bracket ($37,001 – $90,000).

My questions:

Firstly, do I definitely need to include my unclaimed 2019 Canadian Tax in my Australian Tax Return? If not I would be under the $1000 foreign tax.

If I do, can you send me a more specific example for my tax bracket (using my numbers if possible) and how I would calculate my offset limit?

I've been struggling with this for weeks now so your help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Kal.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Taxicorn

Replies 2

I presume that you have read and followed Calculating and claiming your foreign income tax offset

If you provide your Australian Income & tax and your Canadian Income and tax (converted to $AU) I can tell you what it is and how I worked it out.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Taxicorn

Replies 2

I presume that you have read and followed Calculating and claiming your foreign income tax offset

If you provide your Australian Income & tax and your Canadian Income and tax (converted to $AU) I can tell you what it is and how I worked it out.

Highlighted

Replies 0

Yes I've read that but was a bit confused about some of the workings in the example.
That would be so great if you could do that for me!

Highlighted

Replies 0

My Tax details are as follows:

AUS INCOME: $38,799.00

AUS TAX: 10,620.00

CDN INCOME: $9,110.32aud

CDN TAX: $1,063.77aud

Do my deductions and interest earned factor into this too?

AUS INTEREST: $2094.58

AUD DEDUCTIONS: $109.87

Thankyou so much for the help macfanboy!