Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

How much tax will be applied for the superannuation for 485 visa

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 3364

Replies 1

I came to Australia as a student in 2014 and got my Temporary post Graduate visa(Subclass 485) in 2016. It got expired on September 2018 and I moved back to my country permanently. I applied to claim my superannuation and I would like to know if there will be any tax applied on my super money, if so how much percentage or will i receive everything whatever is available. Because i was told 65% will be applied. But I thought it was only for Working holiday visa. And mine was 485 visa. Any help would be appreciated on this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi pavithrah

Here's information on ato.gov.auabout the tax rates applying to departing Australia super payments (DASP).

The 65% tax rate applies to payments that include contributions made while the member held a working holiday maker visa (visa 417 or 462).

So as long as you didn't hold a working holiday maker visa the lower rate will apply. If you didn't make any personal after tax contributions it's likely the full amount of the DASP will be taxed at 35%.

I'm an ATO employee voluntarily providing my time here

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi pavithrah

Here's information on ato.gov.auabout the tax rates applying to departing Australia super payments (DASP).

The 65% tax rate applies to payments that include contributions made while the member held a working holiday maker visa (visa 417 or 462).

So as long as you didn't hold a working holiday maker visa the lower rate will apply. If you didn't make any personal after tax contributions it's likely the full amount of the DASP will be taxed at 35%.

I'm an ATO employee voluntarily providing my time here