Announcements
COVID-19 update: Check out our answers to common questions about JobKeeper payment and early release of super.

ATO Community

Medical Levy refund and tax offsets

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 312

Replies 2

Hi, 

I will be entering Australia on a 482 visa and I have worked out that I will be a resident for tax purposes. 

I have a couple of questions regarding tax offsets and the medicare evy. 

1. I understand the the TSS visa does not entitle me to medicare benefits. In his case would I be able to lodge a refund of my medicare at the end of the year? 

2. A few "take home pay" calculators say that I am entitled to a low to medium tax offset of 1080$, what does this mean and is this automatically calculated with my pay as you go tax or is it something that I have to file as a return. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Smiley Happy 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @vb2703,

Welcome to our community. And congrats for doing your research before Coming to Australia.

The links provided by @macfanboy will definitely help you for the Medicare Levy query.

For the offset, we will calculate this for you when you lodge your tax return. Information on Low income earners might be helpful.

Enjoy your time in Australia!

KylieS

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 0

(1) Certain visa's (if they have a reciprocal Health care agreement with Australia) permit Medicare.

If you don't then you need to get a Medicare Exemption Certificate for the period that you were not covered to avoid paying Medicare when you lodge your tax return, it will still be taken from you weekly/fortnightly but refunded.

(2) Any tax offsets are applied when you lodge your tax return as they are based upon your taxable income (after any deductions). The Low-Income Tax offset AND the Low to Middle Tax offset may apply to your situation.

Currently, the Low to Middle Tax offset is a maximum of $530 not $1080 as the Government haven't got around to passing legislation yet...When they do the ATO promise that they can easily adjust anyone who was affected and reimburse them.

Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @vb2703,

Welcome to our community. And congrats for doing your research before Coming to Australia.

The links provided by @macfanboy will definitely help you for the Medicare Levy query.

For the offset, we will calculate this for you when you lodge your tax return. Information on Low income earners might be helpful.

Enjoy your time in Australia!

KylieS