• 165 Online
  • 14342 Members
  • 17342 Posts

ATO Community

Medicare Levy deducted even though I don't have Medicare

Ask a question

This conversation has been closed. Please start a new thread.

Initiate

Views 476

Replies 4

Hi, I am a temporary resident on a 489 visa. When i did my taxes for the first time for July 2018, it showed that i was charged for Medicare even though i am not qualified for medicare and just use a private insurance.

Now I am wondering if i can get a refund even though my taxes for the year 2018 have been finalized.

Is there any chance to get the refund for the Medicare levy or its too late now?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Manager

Replies 1

Hi @atooz,

Thanks for getting in touch. @Nicholas is right - you can request an amendment of your income tax return. There's a couple of things you need to know before you lodge your amendment, though.

If you're not entitled to Medicare services while in Australia, you won't need to pay the Medicare Levy. However, you'll need to apply for a Medicare Entitlement Statement from the Department of Human Services before you lodge your amendment in order to qualify for an exemption. Please note it can up to 6 weeks to receive your statement from Human Services (if you qualify).

Once you've received your statement, you can lodge your amendment request online. We usually process amendments lodged online within 20 business days.

Hope that helps!

4 REPLIES 4

Initiate

Replies 1

It's not too late. It is withing the amendment period.

As per the ATO website: "For individuals and small businesses the time limit is generally two years, and for other taxpayers four years, from the day after we give you the notice of assessment for the year in question (generally taken to be the date on the notice or, if we don't issue a notice, the date the relevant return was lodged)."

More details on amending:

https://www.ato.gov.au/general/correct-a-mistake-or-amend-a-return/correct-(amend)-an-income-tax-ret...

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Manager

Replies 1

Hi @atooz,

Thanks for getting in touch. @Nicholas is right - you can request an amendment of your income tax return. There's a couple of things you need to know before you lodge your amendment, though.

If you're not entitled to Medicare services while in Australia, you won't need to pay the Medicare Levy. However, you'll need to apply for a Medicare Entitlement Statement from the Department of Human Services before you lodge your amendment in order to qualify for an exemption. Please note it can up to 6 weeks to receive your statement from Human Services (if you qualify).

Once you've received your statement, you can lodge your amendment request online. We usually process amendments lodged online within 20 business days.

Hope that helps!

Initiate

Replies 0

Thank You!

Initiate

Replies 0

Thanks!

Top Solution Authors