Announcements
COVID-19 update: Check out our answers to common questions about JobKeeper payment and early release of super.

ATO Community

Re: Medicare levy exemption 2014

Highlighted

Views 2222

Replies 4

Hi everyone
I noticed that I been charged Medicare levy surcharge on the year 2014. At that time I was on working holiday visa and I just knew that I'm eligible to have Medicare levy exemption. So I emailed them and I got my Medicare exemption statement mail.

Afterword I sent a mail to Australia taxation office address: PO BOX3004, Penrith NSW 2740 on second week of August. But haven't received any reply until now.

I would like to know how to follow up my processing of Medicare levy exemption? Whether I been approved to have my refund or not, they will also reply or just need to wait? How did they work for the refund, should be arranged the payment to my bank account directly, is it?

This is my first time to deal with this and also I wasn't claim the exemption for this year but on 2014. Is that still could be claim or not?

Thank you for your replies. Hope I describe it properly.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Enthusiast

Replies 3

If you just mailed the ATO a copy of the medicare exemption letter, it's likely they were unable to do anything with that. the way you correct a previous tax return is by submitting an amendment - but there are time limits that restrict how far back you may submit an amendment (generally Two Years for Individuals - starting from the day after you received your 2014 notice of assesment). 

If it has been more than two year since you received your Notice of Assesment, you may still be able to ask for an extension of time to object: "

Extension of time to object

If you're outside the time limit, you can ask for an extension of time by including a written request with your objection.

We will process a request for an extension of time, and we will notify you in writing of the outcome:

• If we accept your request, we will consider your objection.
  • If we refuse, we will explain your right to review our decision"

(Amendments outside of the allowed timeframe must be treated as objections)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Enthusiast

Replies 3

If you just mailed the ATO a copy of the medicare exemption letter, it's likely they were unable to do anything with that. the way you correct a previous tax return is by submitting an amendment - but there are time limits that restrict how far back you may submit an amendment (generally Two Years for Individuals - starting from the day after you received your 2014 notice of assesment). 

If it has been more than two year since you received your Notice of Assesment, you may still be able to ask for an extension of time to object: "

Extension of time to object

If you're outside the time limit, you can ask for an extension of time by including a written request with your objection.

We will process a request for an extension of time, and we will notify you in writing of the outcome:

• If we accept your request, we will consider your objection.
  • If we refuse, we will explain your right to review our decision"

(Amendments outside of the allowed timeframe must be treated as objections)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time.

Highlighted

Replies 2

Hi Smouldery,

Thank you for you response. I've checked with the taxation office about the amendment time limit for individuals is 4 years(small business is 2 years.) so I think I'm still eligible to amend my tax.

It's not only my Medicare levy exemption statement, I've also mailed all together with my requested for income amendments form, as below: https://www.ato.gov.au/uploadedFiles/Content/CAS/downloads/IND19097n2843.pdf

As I didn't know I could do amendments online at that time(all info I searched that said should send by mail only) so I did fill up the amendment form by hand writing with my Medicare levy exemption statement and mail them all together to taxation office.

Also they said on the website that probably takes 50 days by mail or fox. But It's over 50 days after I sent the mail out.

Should I do online amendments again?
Highlighted

Enthusiast

Replies 0

If you've submitted an amendment via paper then you can check on the progress of the amendment (the best way likely being calling the ATO). They'll be able to confim if it's been received / what's happening with it if it has been received, as well as what your next steps should be. 

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Yvonne0711,

You've been provided some very useful information from @smouldery! We just wanted to add - if you're overseas you can phone or Skype us on +61 2 6216 1111 between 8am - 5pm, (AEDT), Monday to Friday and let the operator know you are calling form overseas to request a callback. Have your TFN with you so the operator can ask some privacy questions to check the progress of your amendment.

Thanks.