• 24644 Posts

ATO Community

Re: Question regarding residency status and foreign income exemption

Ask a question

KL

Views 22

Replies 1

Dear All,

I have a 482 visa and have been living in a rented apartment and working in Australia since 1 February 2019. My employment contract is permanent - my visa is valid for 4 years and is a medium stream visa which entitles me to apply for permanent residency after 3 years.

I am a German citizen and have previously been working and living in Germany. I arrived in Australia on 1 January 2019. My German work contract with my previous employer terminated on 31 January 2019, and thus I have earned income from employment overseas in the month of January 2019.

My questions are:

- Have I been a resident for tax purposes in Australia in the tax year 2018/2019? I have used the residency tool and understand the answer is yes but wanted to be sure. 

- If yes, do I have to declare my foreign income earned in Germany in the tax year 2018/2019 given my visa status? 

- If the answers are yes to both of the above, do I only need to declare the foreign income earned in January 2019 (since I definitely did not take up residency before 1 January 2019)? I understand that if at all, I only need to declare my income from employment (and not from any other sources) but should be grateful if this could be confirmed.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

KL

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

You are an Australian Resident for tax purposes from 1st January 2019.

All your world-wide income earned from that date is included in your tax return.

Any income earned before that date is not included.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

You are an Australian Resident for tax purposes from 1st January 2019.

All your world-wide income earned from that date is included in your tax return.

Any income earned before that date is not included.

Top Solution Authors