Announcements
COVID-19 update: We expect to publish updates on the JobKeeper payment soon. For other questions, check out the COVID-19 board.

ATO Community

Tax return details

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 137

Replies 2

Hi,

I am hoping if some could please help me with a few issues/questions I am having. 

During last financial year, I was on the Working Holiday Visa and then switched to the Briding Visa (currely waiting for my Spouse Visa to be approved ). My employer has never changed my visa status even thought the change of Visa had been informed. I had spelled out how much I had earned on each Visa to my accountant yet he still lodged my tax return as Working Holiday maker. Now, I understand that I am unable to claim their fault and fully accept what happened. However, I would like to know if the accountant could have prevented lodgin my tax retun inccorectly (as he had all the information he needed)?

My tax rate has gone up rediculously high even though my income is significanly reduced and I would like to see if my tax details are filled out right. If there was an error on my tax details, would I still be able to claim this and get my money back? 

(Hypothtically, if I was paying too much tax?) I believe I never claimed tax threshold even thought I was eligible.

Lastly, could someone please recommend good/reliable accountant who can help individuals like me in Melbourne.

preferably someone located in Melbourne..

your help is much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @aitsuchi,

Welcome to our Community!

@macfanboy is correct - you can lodge an amendment if information has been missed or reported incorrectly on your tax return. We'll then access the amendment and issue a Notice of amended assessment once processed.

We've had similar queries previously about changing visa types during a financial year and what this means tax wise. Check out our response on Change of visa during same financial year - Tax rates TBC for more information.

You can find registered tax agents in your local area by searching the Tax Practitioners Board website.

Hope this helps, JodieH.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 0

You can do an amendment if you believe your tax return was filled in incorrectly.

The tax-free threshold applies to ALL the income that you received so it probably was used on the 417 visa and you correctly paid tax due to being a working holidaymaker. (ie you don't get it).

Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @aitsuchi,

Welcome to our Community!

@macfanboy is correct - you can lodge an amendment if information has been missed or reported incorrectly on your tax return. We'll then access the amendment and issue a Notice of amended assessment once processed.

We've had similar queries previously about changing visa types during a financial year and what this means tax wise. Check out our response on Change of visa during same financial year - Tax rates TBC for more information.

You can find registered tax agents in your local area by searching the Tax Practitioners Board website.

Hope this helps, JodieH.