• 26888 Posts

ATO Community

Tax return doubts

Ask a question
Highlighted

I'm new

Views 349

Replies 1

Good evening, my name is Valeria and I am in the second year of working holiday visa. I'm Italian and As a AIRE member I renounced of my Italian residence,because I would like to set up my life in Australia. I have my own unit, an Australian boyfriend and all my friend are Australian.. am I resident for tax purposes?

last question .. I was from a tax accountant, who told me I do not need to lodge my tax return.. is that right? She didn’t ask me about my situation in Australia.. she only told me that they can’t lodge a tax return for backpacker and that I don’t need to do it.. I would like to everything right..

Waiting for a cordial response,

Thanks for the attention,

Have a good day

Valeria Li Causi
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Valeria_lc91,

Welcome to our Community!

There are a lot of factors to consider when working out if an individual is a resident or non-resident of Australia for tax purposes. As we don't know all the details about your situation, we can't advise your residency status here on our Community.

You can check out our guide to Income tax and residency for working holiday makers in Australia to help you work out your residency status.

If your employer is registered with us to withhold tax at the working holiday maker tax rate and all your income for the financial year was under a working holiday visa 417 or 462 and less than $37,001, you don't need to lodge an income tax return. However, if your taxable income for the year was more than $37,000 you're required to lodge a return.

If you have further questions about your situation, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Valeria_lc91,

Welcome to our Community!

There are a lot of factors to consider when working out if an individual is a resident or non-resident of Australia for tax purposes. As we don't know all the details about your situation, we can't advise your residency status here on our Community.

You can check out our guide to Income tax and residency for working holiday makers in Australia to help you work out your residency status.

If your employer is registered with us to withhold tax at the working holiday maker tax rate and all your income for the financial year was under a working holiday visa 417 or 462 and less than $37,001, you don't need to lodge an income tax return. However, if your taxable income for the year was more than $37,000 you're required to lodge a return.

If you have further questions about your situation, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

Top Solution Authors