Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Taxation on Student Visa with few months on Working Holiday Visa

Highlighted

Views 453

Replies 3

Hello, i'm Giovanni and on the 20th of November 2019 i finished my first Working Holiday Visa 417.

I would like now to come back to Australia from January and study General English first and then the Cambridge CAE course with a Student Visa until June/July 2020.

What i'm asking is how should I be taxed from now, since i've been taxed from the starting of the financial year 2019 normal 15% until November and then now coming back with a student visa until the end of the financial year.

Will the employer keep anyway the 32,5% of tax every payslip? Will i be able to claim back all my taxes while i was on the student visa or at least part of them? 

Hope someone will be able to clarify this doubt.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Giovanni97,

We have answered a similar question recently check it out.

Thanks

KylieS

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 2

@Giovanni97 

Will you be studying for more than 6 months?

Highlighted

Replies 1

Hi, thanks for answering! 

So, even this would be a question because i will start on the 20th of January with 1 month as General English + 1 month free at the end of the course (holiday/full time) from the Government, then starting the Cambrdige CAE in middle march for 3 months + 1 month free from the Government again.

Am i going to be under just 1 student visa from middle January till middle July? Because the total will be 6 months of staying in Australia!

I also looked up on the web and found out that i could tick and have the tax-free threshold anyway for the "183 day test". Am I right?

Thank you so much for helping me!

Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Giovanni97,

We have answered a similar question recently check it out.

Thanks

KylieS