ATO Community

Traveling cost to find a job(same occupation as previous job) 417visa

Ask a question

I'm new

Views 359

Replies 1

Hi all,

I am wondering if expenses incurred in relation to travelling to another city to find the same occupation job can be deductable. I was holding 417 visa(working holiday visa) at the time I needed to move from port douglass QLD to newcastle NSW regarding my previous company decided not to continue operating this occupation despite their promise to my sponsorship visa. I immediately found another sponsoring company and it was in Newcastle NSW. I traveled so far and spend on food, mileage, accommodation, and more... to have an interview and 3months trial period.
I didn't know I may be able to claim for traveling regarding the same occupation job.. I therefore kept no receipt.... am I still allowed to claim deduction for this case? If Yes, how can I?

P.s. I lost my previous job on April 2017 and I found a job and started to work from August 2017

Thank you for your time.
Ben
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @Snow67,

Thanks for getting in touch. Work-related travel expenses only apply where your current employer requires you to attend an alternate workplace as part of your employment, whether it's a client's residence, a different office or a seminar for a week.

Costs associated with finding a new employer are considered to be private costs, and aren't eligible deductions.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @Snow67,

Thanks for getting in touch. Work-related travel expenses only apply where your current employer requires you to attend an alternate workplace as part of your employment, whether it's a client's residence, a different office or a seminar for a week.

Costs associated with finding a new employer are considered to be private costs, and aren't eligible deductions.

Thanks.

Top Solution Authors