Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Re: WHM Status Change to Resident

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 369

Replies 2

Hello.

I have few questions and a scenario on my visa change and tax. It is bit same with this thread.

1. I held WHM status on July 2018 to Dec 2018. My income was $24,500

2. Jan 2019 to Jun 2019 I been granted International Student Visa which is I understand that I am now a Resident for Tax Purpose. My income on that period is $16,000

3. Total of my income is $ 40,500 and whole tax year I only work in same company that issue me same PAYG

With my understanding on the discussion above, I conclude these:

1. I will have 2 tax rates. First is 15% on $24,500 as I held WHM status = $3,675

2. Other $16.000 will be under tax free threshold

3. My tax that I should pay to ATO is $3,675

Is this correct or did I miss something? The thing is my employer reported all my income to ATO under WHM rate and when I lodged my tax return ATO issued me bill that I owing ATO $5,880.50.

Any advices is welcome as I really want to clear this thing up.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

I'm new

Replies 0

Edit: I have been granted International Student Visa from January 2019 until April 2023. Point two above is just a period for my income. Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

I'm new

Replies 0

Edit: I have been granted International Student Visa from January 2019 until April 2023. Point two above is just a period for my income. Thanks.

Highlighted

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @ndlayrd,

Thanks for contacting us. Tax-free threshold will be calculated on a pro-rata basis applies if, during the financial year you:

•became an Australian resident for tax purposes, or

•ceased being an Australian resident for tax purposes.

When you complete your individual income tax return, you must include the:

•date that you became or stopped being an Australian resident for tax purposes
•number of months that you were an Australian resident.

We will work out your tax-free threshold using the information you provide.

If you lodge your tax return yourself, review the information that you have provided. You can access this on your ATO online services in myGov. You should have completed label A2 Part-year tax-free threshold.

If you've made a mistake, you can amend your tax return online or contact your tax agent if you have one.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

HazelC