Announcements
COVID-19 update: We expect to publish updates on the JobKeeper payment soon. For other questions, check out the COVID-19 board.

ATO Community

Working Holiday Visa - Taxes Lodgement

Views 721

Replies 3

Hi there,

From December 2017 until April 2018, I worked as a freelance graphic designer for a branding consultancy based in Sydney. I was living in the same city with a Working Holiday Visa and I did not earn more than $37000.

When I called ATO in October to explain my situation, I was told that I had to do an online tax return by the 31st of October or fill out a paper based return after that date, being informed that I might would have encountered a fine each month of delay.

I'm now obviously late due to personal circumstances along with confusion, and I recently found a post saying "if you're here on a WHV and you earn less than $37,000 for the financial year and all income earned was while on the WHV, you don't need to lodge an income tax return or a non-lodgment advice form. We'll place a return not necessary (RNN) indicator on WHM files who meet the criteria not to lodge for the relevant financial year". This being said, could you kindly let me know if in fact I do not have to submit anything at this time? If so, please send a written confirmation for my records. 

Thank you for your time and help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 2

Hi @GB1,

Thanks for your post! Whether or not you'll need to lodge a tax return depends on a couple of factors.

You mentioned that you worked as a freelance designer in your post. If you were hired as an employee, you worked in Australia on a visa subclass 417 or 462, and your employer withheld tax at the correct rate, and you earned less than $37,000, then no, you probably don't need to lodge.

If you were hired as a contractor or subcontractor and earning income under an ABN, you may need to lodge a return. Many contractors are considered to be small businesses, and need to manage their own tax and super obligations.

Australia's tax system is based on self-assessment - we rely upon you to tell us about your circumstances. If you're not sure how tax should apply to your personal situation, you can contact our early engagement team to talk it through - early engagement can ask you questions and explain how we think tax law applies to your case. You can request a follow up phone call or email by completing the form over on our website.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 2

Hi @GB1,

Thanks for your post! Whether or not you'll need to lodge a tax return depends on a couple of factors.

You mentioned that you worked as a freelance designer in your post. If you were hired as an employee, you worked in Australia on a visa subclass 417 or 462, and your employer withheld tax at the correct rate, and you earned less than $37,000, then no, you probably don't need to lodge.

If you were hired as a contractor or subcontractor and earning income under an ABN, you may need to lodge a return. Many contractors are considered to be small businesses, and need to manage their own tax and super obligations.

Australia's tax system is based on self-assessment - we rely upon you to tell us about your circumstances. If you're not sure how tax should apply to your personal situation, you can contact our early engagement team to talk it through - early engagement can ask you questions and explain how we think tax law applies to your case. You can request a follow up phone call or email by completing the form over on our website.

Thanks.

Highlighted

Replies 1

Thanks for the detailed response. I confirm that I was working as a contractor so at this point, I will need to lodge a late tax return.

Unfortunately, I see that I can't use myTax app at this time as I'm redirected to a new page with written:

A951.25 - Cannot find link

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) is unable to find a link to your myGov account.

Return to myGov to establish a link to the ATO.

Refer to Troubleshoting for Individuals for assistance or contact us.

So are a tax agent or a paper based tax return my only two options to lodge whatever taxes I need to pay any time soon?

Thank you for your time and help

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @GB1,

Thanks for keeping in touch!

To be able to lodge your income tax return via myTax, you first need to register for a myGov account and link to ATO online services.

Linking your myGov account to ATO online services will allow you to access myTax to lodge your income tax return. To link to the ATO you'll need information specifically relating to your ATO account, if you don't have the information to link your account you can phone us on 13 28 61 from within Australia or on +61 2 6216 1111 from outside Australia to request a linking code.

Watch our video on How to create a myGov account an link to the ATO for more information.

If you're unable to link your account and lodge online, your options are via a registered tax practitioner or via paper.

Thanks, JodieH.