Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Working Remotely from overseas, when you are not an Australian citizen

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 5579

Replies 1

Hi ATO

I will be working for an Australian company and   I would be providing the services from my home in South America remotely (e.g. through the internet). 

The Australian Company has not a presence in South America.

I have questions on how my income will be taxed in Australia and if I would require any visa to work with them.

Cheers,

Andres
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @AndresV,

Welcome to our Community!

Generally speaking, if you're working for an Australian company you'll be required to complete a TFN declaration form when you first commence work. You'll need to declare you residency status on the form and the employer will use this information to determine how much tax to withhold. You can work out your residency status by using the Are you a residency tool on our website. If you are considered a non-resident you'll be taxed differently to if you were a resident of Australia. You can find the tax rates for non-residents and residents on our website.

Usually you would be required to have a visa if you're coming to Australia for a holiday or for work, however as you're just working for an Australian company from overseas you may not require one. To determine if you need to apply for a visa, you can contact the Department of Home Affairs.

If you're overseas you can phone or Skype us on +61 2 6216 1111 between 8am- 5pm, (AEST) Monday to Friday to discuss your situation further with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @AndresV,

Welcome to our Community!

Generally speaking, if you're working for an Australian company you'll be required to complete a TFN declaration form when you first commence work. You'll need to declare you residency status on the form and the employer will use this information to determine how much tax to withhold. You can work out your residency status by using the Are you a residency tool on our website. If you are considered a non-resident you'll be taxed differently to if you were a resident of Australia. You can find the tax rates for non-residents and residents on our website.

Usually you would be required to have a visa if you're coming to Australia for a holiday or for work, however as you're just working for an Australian company from overseas you may not require one. To determine if you need to apply for a visa, you can contact the Department of Home Affairs.

If you're overseas you can phone or Skype us on +61 2 6216 1111 between 8am- 5pm, (AEST) Monday to Friday to discuss your situation further with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.