Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Working Visa

Highlighted

Views 749

Replies 1

Hi,

I have a query in relation to work visa and if it can be claimed as a deduction?

The story is that I was on a Graduate Work Visa (485 subclass) which is valid for 1.5 to 2 years. During this time period, I commenced my full-time employment in field of study. And when my visa was about to expire, my employer decided to sponsor me to remain in Australia and keep on working in my role. I incurred a migration lawyer fees as well as Visa Application Fees for Visa 457 subclass.

Can I claim this expense as a Deduction in my tax return?

I await for your reply.

Cheers,

Arsalan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Arsalan,

Thanks for your question.

The costs of obtaining a visa in not tax deductible as they must be directly related to earning assessable income.

The costs are considered private in nature and not deductible.

Check out Deductibility of visa expenses - temporary business visa to remain in Australia.

Thanks, NateH

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Arsalan,

Thanks for your question.

The costs of obtaining a visa in not tax deductible as they must be directly related to earning assessable income.

The costs are considered private in nature and not deductible.

Check out Deductibility of visa expenses - temporary business visa to remain in Australia.

Thanks, NateH