ATO Community

Regular invoice

Ask a question

Views 662

Replies 2

Hi! I have an ABN number but I did not register to GST. I am about to write my first invoice. The amount of the invoice is more than $82.50. Is it still okay not to charge GST if I am not registered?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Alexia28

Welcome to our Community!

You can only charge and claim GST credits if you're registered or required to be registered for GST under your ABN. If you're not registered for GST, you don't include GST in your invoices to your customers. 

You can find more information about GST and the requirements to be registered in our GST guide on our website. 

Thanks, JodieH. 

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 0

Yes.

When you make a taxable sale of more than $82.50 (including GST), your GST registered customers must be given a tax invoice in order for them to be able to claim the GST credit. If they request one and you don’t provide it at the time, you have 28 days from their request to give it to them.

Invoices need to display specific information. For sales of $1,000 or more, invoices must display:

• the words 'tax invoice'
  • the seller's name and ABN
  • date of the invoice
  • buyer name and ABN or address
  • a description of the items sold, the quantity and the price
  • the GST amount or that the total amount includes GST.

Invoices for less than $1,000 need to have all the above but not the buyer's details.

Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Alexia28

Welcome to our Community!

You can only charge and claim GST credits if you're registered or required to be registered for GST under your ABN. If you're not registered for GST, you don't include GST in your invoices to your customers. 

You can find more information about GST and the requirements to be registered in our GST guide on our website. 

Thanks, JodieH. 

Top Solution Authors