Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

GST on purchase of existing business..

Views 128

Replies 1

Hi,

Good Morning. 

I have a question related to GST.

Does the GST apply to the sale/purchase of pre-existing business or on the sale of 100% shares of company?

If yes then who is Liable to pay GST, seller or purchaser?

In case if purchaser pays the GST is he eligible to claim it back?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hiya @MuhammadMinhas,

If the business meets the eligibility to be sold as a going concern, the sale is GST free. (I will provide links below with more information.) If the business is not sold as a going concern, it would be considered a taxable sale.

As for the sale of shares, this is considered a financial supply, which is input taxed.

Selling a going concern.

Financial supplies.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hiya @MuhammadMinhas,

If the business meets the eligibility to be sold as a going concern, the sale is GST free. (I will provide links below with more information.) If the business is not sold as a going concern, it would be considered a taxable sale.

As for the sale of shares, this is considered a financial supply, which is input taxed.

Selling a going concern.

Financial supplies.