Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

How do you calculate the surface of your home used if your business is run from home?

I'm new

Views 116

Replies 1

Good day, I am practicing from home since a few months and have a dedicated room to see clients. They also make use of the bathroom, verandah as a wait area and I make them a cup of tea in the kitchen or get them water. My admin I run from my desk in the living area. How do I calculate the portion of the surface I use for tax deduction on expenses of the house considering the above? Fe the desk in is an huge open plan kitchen-living-dining area. Do I carve out the m2's used for work on the floorplan? Do I do the same with the bathroom: only a portion is toilet and handwash sink, the other is the recessed shower, bath and laundry. Do I enter the full surface m2 of the bathroom or again only the m2's used by clients using the bathroom? Thank you for clarifying this, have a lovely day

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @AIG,

This can be a very complex issue. We have a ruling regarding who can claim home office expenses and what can be claimed that will assist with your calculations.

To ensure that you are claiming the correct amounts and areas we always suggest that you contact our Early Engagement team and apply for a private ruling.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @AIG,

This can be a very complex issue. We have a ruling regarding who can claim home office expenses and what can be claimed that will assist with your calculations.

To ensure that you are claiming the correct amounts and areas we always suggest that you contact our Early Engagement team and apply for a private ruling.