Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

NZ-based freelancer working for Australian-based client

Views 158

Replies 1

Hiya, 

I'm a New Zealand citizen/resident working from New Zealand as a sole trader. I do freelance work and one of my clients is an Australian business. I make about 40K a year, do I have to happy for an ABN?

If it makes any difference, the Australian business I work for is a mobile tutoring company, so no fixed premises. I offer services only (admin & customer service) and the business provides both services and goods (ebooks) to its customers.

Finally, I do have a TFN and Australian bank account from when I lived in Australia 10 years ago. If I was paid into my Australian bank account would that change my tax obligations or requirements?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hiya @she_wish,

Your income would be declared on your NZ tax return. If your income from Australia exceeds $75 thousand you may be required to register for GST.

GST on imported services and digital products

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hiya @she_wish,

Your income would be declared on your NZ tax return. If your income from Australia exceeds $75 thousand you may be required to register for GST.

GST on imported services and digital products