ATO Community

Submitting tax return as a sole trader

Ask a question
Highlighted

Views 81

Replies 7

Hi,
I registered as a sole trader this year and need to declare my yearly income (even though it’s lower than the taxable threshold). I have tried linking my MyGov account to the ATO, but it does not recognise my details for some reason. I have tried linking it via my bank details and also tried with my super details but got an error message saying I only have one more attempt. It’s the first time I’m doing it so I don’t have any previous history of payments. Is there another way I can submit my tax return knowing I am out of the country and won’t be back in Australia until the beginning of November?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @MargauxD,

Welcome to our community and we're sorry to hear you've had difficulties linking your ATO account online.

If this is the first tax return you're required to lodge with us, then we may not have enough information on file to verify your identity. If this is the case and you're unable to link, you can contact us to request a linking code or lodge your return via paper or a registered tax agent.

Check out our guide on Linking your myGov account to the ATO for more information and troubleshooting for individuals. You can contact us from overseas and let the operator know where you're calling from to request a call back.

Let us know how you go.

Thanks, JodieH.

7 REPLIES 7

Taxicorn

Replies 6

Create another mygov account.

I ended up creating several after i forgot passwords and/or no longer had the mobile phone number needed to verify it.

Replies 5

I can still access my MyGov account, however I can’t manage to link it to the ATO in order to submit my tax return.

Taxicorn

Replies 0

Did you try the steps outlined here

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @MargauxD,

Welcome to our community and we're sorry to hear you've had difficulties linking your ATO account online.

If this is the first tax return you're required to lodge with us, then we may not have enough information on file to verify your identity. If this is the case and you're unable to link, you can contact us to request a linking code or lodge your return via paper or a registered tax agent.

Check out our guide on Linking your myGov account to the ATO for more information and troubleshooting for individuals. You can contact us from overseas and let the operator know where you're calling from to request a call back.

Let us know how you go.

Thanks, JodieH.

Replies 2

Hi JodieH, thank you for your help, I will definitely check it out. I will still get charged by my mobile phone provider to receive a call outside of Australia so hopefully the identity check doesn’t take too long. Am I right in understanding that I need to submit it by 31st October? I will be back in Australia at the beginning of November and wondering if I can wait until then or not.

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @MargauxD,

You’re correct in understanding the requirement to submit your Income tax return by October 31, 2019. If you are unable to lodge by 31 October via MyGov, a paper return or a registered tax agent, contact us as soon as possible. In certain circumstances, we may be able to arrange a lodgment deferral or suspension for a period of up to six weeks.  If you have a tax adviser, they can also apply for a deferral online via the Tax Agent or BAS Agent Portal.

I hope this helps
@JodieM

Replies 0

Hi Jodie, this is very helpful, thank you so much for your help!
Top Solution Authors