• 163 Online
  • 23309 Members
  • 27288 Posts

ATO Community

Travelling Expenses: Driving Colleagues to Airport (for Business Trip)

Ask a question
Highlighted

Views 481

Replies 1

Hello,

I understand that the costs of travelling from a main workplace to the airport can be claimed if the domestic (or overseas) trip is work-related. However, I would like to know if the same applies if I am travelling from a main workplace to the airport because I am driving a colleague for his own business trip (which I am not invited to).

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @sabrinaw,

Thanks for getting in touch!

To be eligible to claim work-related expense as a deduction in your return:

• you must have spent the money yourself and weren't reimbursed
  • it must directly relate to earing your income
  • you must have a record to prove it.

As the travel to the airport relates to a colleague going on a business trip (and essentially them earning their income), you wouldn't be eligible to claim the travel expense as it's not relating to you earing your income and would be considered a private expense.

If you think your situation is different to the information on our website, you can write to us to request a private ruling. Private rulings are binding advice from us that explains our view on how the tax laws apply to your specific situation. They are a free service and we aim to response within 28 days from receiving your request.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @sabrinaw,

Thanks for getting in touch!

To be eligible to claim work-related expense as a deduction in your return:

• you must have spent the money yourself and weren't reimbursed
  • it must directly relate to earing your income
  • you must have a record to prove it.

As the travel to the airport relates to a colleague going on a business trip (and essentially them earning their income), you wouldn't be eligible to claim the travel expense as it's not relating to you earing your income and would be considered a private expense.

If you think your situation is different to the information on our website, you can write to us to request a private ruling. Private rulings are binding advice from us that explains our view on how the tax laws apply to your specific situation. They are a free service and we aim to response within 28 days from receiving your request.

Thanks, JodieH.

Top Solution Authors