Announcements
We're doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode every now and then while we do this. Don't worry! You'll still be able to search the site to find your answers

ATO Community

Claiming Language Tutoring as Self Education

Views 768

Replies 2

I've been taking Mandarin lessons for the past year. About six months ago, I was promoted to a role which covers business in Australia and Asia - with an expansion into the Chinese market being a major investment currently. 

My role does not require me to speak Mandarin, or I would not have been qualified to take the role. However, being able to read and speak Mandarin would assist me in my duties as it is a research role, as many documents and datasources relevant to my work in the China market are not translated into English.

I've read the ATO's advice on this page:
https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Income-and-deductions/Deductions-you-can-claim/Self-education-exp...

The lessons I'm taking would lead to HSK certification, so I believe that satisfies the formal qualification requirement. I'd only be claiming the portion of fees pertaining to the period after I was promoted.

The part I am unsure about is whether I meet this condition: "maintain or improve the specific skills or knowledge you require in your current work activities". As mentioned above, the skill I'm learning would improve my ability to do my current role, but they're not a 'requirement' in the sense that it wasn't a skill outlined in my job description.

Is there a way I can confirm that I meet the requirements to claim self-education expenses before I submit my tax return?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Sk 

Thanks for posting!

As you have mentioned there is a condition that you must meet: "maintain or improve the specific skills or knowledge you require in your current work activities". From the information you have provided you don't meet this condition as it is not a skill you require for your current work activities. As it is not a requirement for your current job you won't be able to claim the lessons as self-education expenses.

Hope this helps!

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Sk 

Thanks for posting!

As you have mentioned there is a condition that you must meet: "maintain or improve the specific skills or knowledge you require in your current work activities". From the information you have provided you don't meet this condition as it is not a skill you require for your current work activities. As it is not a requirement for your current job you won't be able to claim the lessons as self-education expenses.

Hope this helps!

Replies 0

Thanks! That does help clarify it for me.