Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

How to put staking rewards details in tax return

Views 272

Replies 3

I have invested in the Cardano cryptocurrency (I have owned my ADA for 3 years now), and have been staking my ADA with a staking pool in Sweden and have earned an amount of ADA in return.  I understand this counts as income for tax purposes.

I'm trying to add in the AUD value of the staking rewards into the "Salary, Wages, etc." section of my tax return, but the form cannot take the information, as I am required to supply an ABN or WPN.  What is a WPN?

Also, is there an official source for crypto prices at a certain point in time?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @wardallen

Correct! Staking rewards is classed as assessable income and included as such on your return. It is not salary and wages, are you doing this as a trader, if so you would report it under business income.

If you are a trader as opposed to an investor you may need to look at applying for an ABN. A WPN is a withholding payer No'.

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @wardallen

Correct! Staking rewards is classed as assessable income and included as such on your return. It is not salary and wages, are you doing this as a trader, if so you would report it under business income.

If you are a trader as opposed to an investor you may need to look at applying for an ABN. A WPN is a withholding payer No'.

Replies 1

Hi @Jodie_ATO 

No, I am definitely not a trader.  Which section does it come under?  Dividends or Interest?

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @wardallen,

You can include this income under other income. It will still be looked at as assessable.