Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

Claiming Superannuation

Views 1989

Replies 10

Hi,

I moved out to Australia in 1987, became a citizen in 1990. I worked in the health service and had a small private Superannuation fund. Both rolled together in about 1999.  I left Australia in difficult circumstances in 2000. I am now planning to retire here in the Uk and have contacted my Super fund. They have asked me to complete forms and attach a DASP on the ATO site, which I have tried to do but this does not show validity as I am guessing I was not temporarily resident,  having citizenship and the DASP is for temporary residents? is that correct?

I was planning to go to the Australian Consulate to verify my ID for the super fund holder but they want a written statement from DIAC to confirm my permenant departure and again ask me to do this with a DASP.

I am very confused and frustrated. Can someone advise?

many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 9

Hi @BJEZ,

I'm sorry to hear that you've had a frustrating experience with this.

You can find the eligibility for Departing Australia superannuation payments here.

If you are still an Australian citizen, you will not be eligible for a payment under this system, even if you meet all other criteria and have departed Australia permanently.

Having said that, even if you are not eligible for a DASP, you may still be able to apply for early access to your super. You should contact your super fund and explain why you are not eligible for a DASP, and see if there are any other options they can offer you.

Hope this helps,

Rachael B.

10 REPLIES 10

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 9

Hi @BJEZ,

I'm sorry to hear that you've had a frustrating experience with this.

You can find the eligibility for Departing Australia superannuation payments here.

If you are still an Australian citizen, you will not be eligible for a payment under this system, even if you meet all other criteria and have departed Australia permanently.

Having said that, even if you are not eligible for a DASP, you may still be able to apply for early access to your super. You should contact your super fund and explain why you are not eligible for a DASP, and see if there are any other options they can offer you.

Hope this helps,

Rachael B.

Replies 8

Thank you Rachael 

I am very concerned that i may not be eligible for this after 14 years of hard work in Australia.

I left Australia under shall we say, cirmcumstances, if I had stayed the behaviours of my ex husband would have lead to my life being so bad I my not have survived mentally.I could not to return for fear of what my life would have become. I made a new life back in my home land and so did the children who are now grown ups.

I do not understand how the Australian Government or whoever can with hold my superannuation.

I will let my super fund team know but I am so stressed and confused now.

Bev

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 7

Hello again @BJEZ,

I appreciate that it must be a very difficult time for you.

Your superannuation is intended to provide for your retirement, so the conditions of release are stringent in order to ensure that you will still have something left to help you at that point of time in your life.

Even though we have been discussing early release of superannuation, depending on your year of birth, you may have already reached preservation age - or you may not be very far off it.

Definitely have a chat to your super fund and let them know about your situation so they can try to help you as best as possible. It is up to them to determine if you satisfy the conditions of release.

Bear in mind that releasing your super early will generally count towards your assessable income for income tax purposes, so make sure you ask your super fund about any tax payable on the amount released as well.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best of luck Bev,

Rachael B.

Replies 6

Thank you rachael,

I have reached preservation age last year and my fund is still active. I am concerned that if as a citizen I no longer reside in Australia that they can not release my money? I can not see how that makes any diffference I worked hard for 14 years in the health service in Australia so am entitled to the funds surely?

i have contacted my super fund directly as the original broker have not been very helpful.

Many thanks

Bev

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @BJEZ,

That is great that you have contacted your fund directly. As Rachael mentioned it is ultimately up to them to determine if you satisfy a condition of release.

All the best for the future.

KylieS

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @BJEZ,

That is great that you have contacted your fund directly. As Rachael mentioned it is ultimately up to them to determine if you satisfy a condition of release.

KylieS

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @BJEZ,

KylieS

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @BJEZ,

KylieS

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @BJEZ,

KylieS