Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Do I need to report my superannuation in Norway? If so, is it taxed?

Views 72

Replies 1

Hi,

I moved to Norway last year. I am attempting to fill out a tax return. I cannot work out how to declare my Australian superannuation.

1. Do I need to declare my Australian super in Norway? If so how?
  2. If I do declare it, am I to expect Norway to tax my Australian super?
  3. How am I to pay the tax on my super when I can't access the money to pay the tax + the Australian government is already taxing the superfund???

Please help. I am dreadfully confused and the Nowegian Tax Department has not been able to help me so far.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

*Content updated to include further information*

Hi @Deefaton

It sounds like you haven’t accessed your super from your fund. If this is the case you shouldn’t have to report it to the Norwegian government. If you have accessed it then it may be looked at for tax purposes over there. We do have International tax treaties with other countries to prevent double taxation of certain payments.  

We can advise you of your Australian tax obligations when you access your super, but we can't tell you how Norway will look at it. You could follow this up with the Norwegian Tax Administration.

You can also view the link below in relation to our Tax treaties with other countries.

Link-

International Tax treaties.

All the best.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

*Content updated to include further information*

Hi @Deefaton

It sounds like you haven’t accessed your super from your fund. If this is the case you shouldn’t have to report it to the Norwegian government. If you have accessed it then it may be looked at for tax purposes over there. We do have International tax treaties with other countries to prevent double taxation of certain payments.  

We can advise you of your Australian tax obligations when you access your super, but we can't tell you how Norway will look at it. You could follow this up with the Norwegian Tax Administration.

You can also view the link below in relation to our Tax treaties with other countries.

Link-

International Tax treaties.

All the best.