ATO Community

Re: How to receive money when a cheque for DASP was expired?

Views 100

Replies 1

Hi, I used to work in Australia with working visa and now live in overseas (I closed my bank account in Australia). I noticed that I received a cheque for DASP (ATO held super) sometime ago and no expiry date on it.

My questions are

1. How long is the cheque valid for?
  2. If it is already expired, how is the money treated?
  3. Can I re-claim to send me the cheque? If it can, will it be the same amount as mentioned on the cheque already received, or increased amount due to addition of credit interest?
  4. It the re-claim is possible, by when should I re-claim? For example hypothetically can I re-claim in 10 years (2030)?

Thanks for your answers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Takechan,

I've found the following information to help with your questions.

1. Cheques will typically expire if not presented within 15 months after the issue date. However some overseas banks may not accept foreign cheques that are more than several months old. So this might be something you'd need to clarify with them.

2. The credit from stale cheques returns back to the source the credit came from. So in this instance, back into your ATO held super account.

3. You can request for the cheque to be re-issued, but as you've already completed the DASP application and it was processed, you don't need to lodge a new application. You will need to contact us directly via phone to do this though, and during the call, you'll need to establish your identity with the ATO staff member before they can discuss your account.
    As for the second part of this question, the amount won't change as we'd simply be re-sending the amount you were entitled to.

4. It's recommended to claim your super as soon as practical (as it is your money after all). However the Limitations Act (of each state and territory) would allow the ATO to potentially refuse a request lodged more than 6 years from the original date of issue.

Hopefully this is useful, and please contact us when you would like the replacement cheque to be issued.

Contact us from overseas (under the heading 'Overseas enquiries- general')

Establish your identity

How and When is DASP paid

RachATO

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Takechan,

I've found the following information to help with your questions.

1. Cheques will typically expire if not presented within 15 months after the issue date. However some overseas banks may not accept foreign cheques that are more than several months old. So this might be something you'd need to clarify with them.

2. The credit from stale cheques returns back to the source the credit came from. So in this instance, back into your ATO held super account.

3. You can request for the cheque to be re-issued, but as you've already completed the DASP application and it was processed, you don't need to lodge a new application. You will need to contact us directly via phone to do this though, and during the call, you'll need to establish your identity with the ATO staff member before they can discuss your account.
    As for the second part of this question, the amount won't change as we'd simply be re-sending the amount you were entitled to.

4. It's recommended to claim your super as soon as practical (as it is your money after all). However the Limitations Act (of each state and territory) would allow the ATO to potentially refuse a request lodged more than 6 years from the original date of issue.

Hopefully this is useful, and please contact us when you would like the replacement cheque to be issued.

Contact us from overseas (under the heading 'Overseas enquiries- general')

Establish your identity

How and When is DASP paid

RachATO