Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

Process to link ATO to myGov with an aim to find my unclaimed super and get a refund

I'm new

Views 83

Replies 1

Dear Sir/ Madam,

I lived and worked in Australia for many years between 2002 & 2010. I last filed my tax returns for the year 2010. I had applied for and was granted an Australian PR in 2011. Due to personal reasons, I opted not to relocate to Australia from my home country. 

as of today, I remember my TFN number. I have a copy of the last tax return filed by my tax agent. I still have a bank account in Australia. I wanted to understand the following,

1) Considering I donot currently hold any work visa to Australia can I find my unclaimed superannuation amount and get it transferred to my australian bank account (after tax deductions)?

2) I don't have details of the super annuation account  but i read online that most likely my Super funds would have been transferred to the ATO due to inactivity for years. 

3) assuming i am write about point number 2 above,  What information do i need to submit to the ATO to help make a refund request ?

FYI, i have a MyGov account. I tried linking it to the ATO but i got an error saying the ATO has insufficient information to link my account. I am based overseas so i will appreciate any guidance to help me progress. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @mrarunraj

You can only access your super under Departing Australia Super Payments (DASP) if you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Australia.

So because you're a permanent resident of Australia, your super is subject to the same rules. This means you can only access your super early in limited circumstances. Head to our website for more information on Early access to your super.

If we're holding ATO-held super for you, you can use your ATO online account to nominate an eligible super fund you would like to transfer the money to.

To help link the ATO to your myGov account, I recommend contacting us directly over the phone (using the 'phoning from outside Australia' number). See our Contact us page for the overseas enquiries line.

Chantelle

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @mrarunraj

You can only access your super under Departing Australia Super Payments (DASP) if you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Australia.

So because you're a permanent resident of Australia, your super is subject to the same rules. This means you can only access your super early in limited circumstances. Head to our website for more information on Early access to your super.

If we're holding ATO-held super for you, you can use your ATO online account to nominate an eligible super fund you would like to transfer the money to.

To help link the ATO to your myGov account, I recommend contacting us directly over the phone (using the 'phoning from outside Australia' number). See our Contact us page for the overseas enquiries line.

Chantelle