ATO Community

Renouncing permanent residency

Views 257

Replies 1

I entered Australia in 2013 on a 457 Visa and was on that for 4 years. After that my employer put me through the PR process and I have been on that until the present. I left Australia permanently in September of last year back to Canada where I am a citizen and have no plan to return. Am I able to renounce my PR to apply for DASP? Has anyone had any luck with this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Mattschim,

I've located a very similar thread on the forum from a few years ago that indicates if you've previously held a temporary visa (the 457 is classified as a temporary Visa), your permanent visa expires and you meet additional criteria, then you should be able to submit a DASP claim. If your Visa is still current, you should be able to request a cancellation through the Department of Immigration and Border Protection in order to assist with this part of the eligibility.

If after looking at the criteria, you find that you aren't eligible for a DASP, then perhaps look at the conditions of release page in our website for more information on when you may be able to access your super.

You can view the forum thread I mentioned above 'Departing Australia Superannuation Payment' here. And the link to our conditions of Super release page here as well.

Hopefully this information helps you and please let us know how it goes Smiley Happy

RachATO

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Mattschim,

I've located a very similar thread on the forum from a few years ago that indicates if you've previously held a temporary visa (the 457 is classified as a temporary Visa), your permanent visa expires and you meet additional criteria, then you should be able to submit a DASP claim. If your Visa is still current, you should be able to request a cancellation through the Department of Immigration and Border Protection in order to assist with this part of the eligibility.

If after looking at the criteria, you find that you aren't eligible for a DASP, then perhaps look at the conditions of release page in our website for more information on when you may be able to access your super.

You can view the forum thread I mentioned above 'Departing Australia Superannuation Payment' here. And the link to our conditions of Super release page here as well.

Hopefully this information helps you and please let us know how it goes Smiley Happy

RachATO