ATO Community

Super Withdrawal for Ex-Permanent Resident

Ask a question
Highlighted

Views 310

Replies 3

Hi Team, I am an Independent Ex-Permanent Resident. My visa expired recently.

I left Australia in October 2016.

My Super is with MLC.

I intend to withdraw my Super.

However, ATO doesn't have a Super withdrawal form for Ex-Permanent Resident.

Please suggest the process and appropriate forms to Withdraw my Super, preferably Online.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

Anonymous

Replies 2

Hi @mayind 

The better approach here is to contact your Super Provider directly because they may have their own conditions of release on top of legislative ones and they will have their own super withdrawal forms for their members to complete.

Also, these types of funds are regulated by APRA and not the ATO so its preferable to contact them contact them .

3 REPLIES 3

Best answer

Anonymous

Replies 2

Hi @mayind 

The better approach here is to contact your Super Provider directly because they may have their own conditions of release on top of legislative ones and they will have their own super withdrawal forms for their members to complete.

Also, these types of funds are regulated by APRA and not the ATO so its preferable to contact them contact them .

Replies 1

Thanks, I've written to info@apra.gov.au. Will update this forum when I receive their response.

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @mayind

Welcome to our Community.

As @Anonymous has correctly said, we don't regulate funds like MLC but we can provide general information about accessing super.

You will need to meet a condition of release to be able to access your preserved super benefits. You can have a look at the withdrawing and using your super page on our website for more information.

Most conditions of release require you to apply directly to the fund. Exceptions to this include the compassionate release of super (which requires our approval first) and the departing Australia super payment (DASP).

If you are hoping to have the super paid to you as a DASP, you need to meet all of the eligibility criteria. Check out the eligibility for DASP page on our website. Applications can be done via our DASP online application system.

This may not be relevant to you as it only applies to former temporary resident visa holders. If you have only ever held a permanent visa and not a temporary visa, then you won't be eligible for a DASP, even though your permanent visa has ceased to be in effect.

This doesn't mean that you can't access your super. You will just need to access it via a different condition of release. Depending on your circumstances, this may not be now but sometime in the future.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

ChrisR

Top Solution Authors