Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Super has been found!

Views 191

Replies 5

We have had an email from ATO today to inform us that they have traced my husband's super from when he worked in Australia in 2012. We posted a paper application with copies of everything we had from the time from his employment. When I try to link myGov account to the ATO I get error code A932.06. He will have difficulty answering the questions specific to him as he has not worked there since December 2013. We live in England and it is almost impossible to ring at a convenient time. But if we had the correct number to ring we could. What is the best and quickest way to get this amount refunded. He does not work anymore now and the funds are needed desperately!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 4

Hi @Sapphire73,

If you cannot link via myGov you can still use a paper application to access the super, whether it is to withdraw the amount directly or transfer the super to another super fund in Australia.

However, if your husband was a temporary resident when living here and the visa is inactive or cancelled, he can withdraw the super from us using the departing Australia super payment (DASP) online application.

If he was not a temporary resident but a permanent resident/ Australian citizen and now over 65yrs, he may withdraw the super and have it paid directly to him. 

Without knowing the full circumstances of his residency and current age i will provide the links below. 

Please use these for further assistance.

Links -

DASP online application.

Early access to your super.

Withdrawing and using your super.

All the best.

5 REPLIES 5

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 4

Hi @Sapphire73,

If you cannot link via myGov you can still use a paper application to access the super, whether it is to withdraw the amount directly or transfer the super to another super fund in Australia.

However, if your husband was a temporary resident when living here and the visa is inactive or cancelled, he can withdraw the super from us using the departing Australia super payment (DASP) online application.

If he was not a temporary resident but a permanent resident/ Australian citizen and now over 65yrs, he may withdraw the super and have it paid directly to him. 

Without knowing the full circumstances of his residency and current age i will provide the links below. 

Please use these for further assistance.

Links -

DASP online application.

Early access to your super.

Withdrawing and using your super.

All the best.

Replies 0

Thank you Jodie for your prompt response. My husband was classed as a temporary resident as he only came to Australia to work for a short time and has not returned since he left in December 2013. He did not have any documents to get signed or authenticated before he left. He is 67 this year and the tax fund is over 9000 dollars. Can you now direct me to the correct form to complete? Kind regards. 

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Sapphie73,

Depending on who holds the super (us or a super fund), your husband will need to complete different paperwork.

If the super is held by a super fund:

• Since the balance of the super is more than $5,000, your husband will need to request a Certificate of Immigration Status from the Department of Home Affairs. Home Affairs charges a fee to issue this certificate.
  • Your husband will need to complete the application for departing Australia superannuation payment form and send it to the super fund. Paper applications to super funds may incur a cost to process.
  • The super fund will also require certified copies of proof of identification documents.

If the funds are held by us:

• Use the application for payment of ATO-held superannuation money and send it directly to us.
  • Your husband won't need a Certificate of Immigration Status.
  • There are no costs for paper applications sent to the ATO.

You can find the paper application forms and instructions for DASP on our website.

Replies 1

Good morning! My husband completed the DASP form as you advised and returned it with an email from ATO telling him they had found the super and how much the value of the fund was. I tracked the letter and contents and this was delivered to the correct address. This was posted from England on the 29th March, and we have not heard anything since. How long will this take to be processed? Kind regards. Can I quote you the refernce number?

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Sapphire73

Our service standard we aim to meet for DASP payments is 28 days from when we receive the application. Once this service standard has passed feel free to contact us if you have not received an update. We wont be able to look at that reference number over this forum. Your husband would need to contact us via the overseas line and we can look into the status then. The number can be found on our contact us page under 'Overseas Enquiries - general'.

Hope this helps.