ATO Community

Superannuation Question

Ask a question
Highlighted

Views 37

Replies 1

Hi there,

I came to Australia on a Child Visa. Then I became a Permanent Resident in Australia. It expired in 2016. I left the country years ago, and I live in Canada now. I have no plans to return to Australia other than for holidays. I was never on a Temporary work visa of any kind.

Also do I really have to wait until I’m 65 years old to receive less than $5000? Is there any way I can get that Superannuation money?

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

TaxTime Support

Replies 0

Hi @patricio45

You won't be able to submit a departing Australia super payment (DASP) application as you're not the former holder of an eligible temporary visa. You can read more about eligibility for DASP on our website.

The fact that you can't apply for your super as a DASP doesn't mean that you have to wait until you turn 65. While turning 65 is one of the conditions, you only need to meet one condition of release to access your preserved super.

Super laws provide specific rules for when you can access your super. These are called conditions of release. In addition, the trust deed or governing rules of your super provider may set out more restrictive rules around payment of benefits.

For more information about when you can access your super and the conditions of release, refer to our website.

For most of the conditions, it doesn't matter where in the world you live. Each condition will require you to meet certain criteria. As long as you meet the criteria and can provide the requested information and/or documents, you can submit a request.

Also, whether you will have to pay tax in Australia and how much will depend on the condition that you apply under and how old you are. You can check out our website for more information about how tax applies to your super.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

ChrisR

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

ATO Certified

TaxTime Support

Replies 0

Hi @patricio45

You won't be able to submit a departing Australia super payment (DASP) application as you're not the former holder of an eligible temporary visa. You can read more about eligibility for DASP on our website.

The fact that you can't apply for your super as a DASP doesn't mean that you have to wait until you turn 65. While turning 65 is one of the conditions, you only need to meet one condition of release to access your preserved super.

Super laws provide specific rules for when you can access your super. These are called conditions of release. In addition, the trust deed or governing rules of your super provider may set out more restrictive rules around payment of benefits.

For more information about when you can access your super and the conditions of release, refer to our website.

For most of the conditions, it doesn't matter where in the world you live. Each condition will require you to meet certain criteria. As long as you meet the criteria and can provide the requested information and/or documents, you can submit a request.

Also, whether you will have to pay tax in Australia and how much will depend on the condition that you apply under and how old you are. You can check out our website for more information about how tax applies to your super.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

ChrisR

Top Solution Authors