Announcements
Read our answers to common questions about JobKeeper, Early release of super and Cash flow boost.

ATO Community

Superannuation not paid for over 6 months after opening an investigation

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 167

Replies 1

So after quitting my job that I had for 1 year and leaving Australia permenatly I opened an investigation of my super that I never got back. They told me it's a long process and it could take up to 6 months, it's now been over 6 months since I left and nothing has happened. My super fund was stated in my payslips but I coulnd't find it on ATO. Which they told me is illegal, which is also why I started the investigation.

It's too expensive for me to call them, I had to pay a lot of money last time I called thanks to the waiting time etc, and I can't find any email nor chat live with them. 

So I have a few questions. 

Does anyone know how to contact them outside of Australia, if not by phone?

How much tax do I pay on my super being on a student visa if that makes any difference.

Has anyone else experienced a longer investigation for 6 months? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Denniz

Thanks for your post.

Once you lodge your unpaid super enquiry, we will keep you updated on our progress. If you're registered with myGov, we will send your progress letters to your myGov inbox. If not, we will issue them to your postal address.

For more information about our process when investigating your enquiry, check out our website. It explains all of the steps in the process and when we will update you on the progress.

Some investigations take longer than others. Some can be resolved in a few months or so while others can take years. If a super guarantee charge (SGC) assessment is raised, the longer it has taken, the more interest you will usually be entitled to.

You can find out more about how SGC works on our website.

If you are unable to call us, you can send an email to SuperAdvice@ato.gov.au or letter to:

Australian Taxation Office

PO Box 3100

Penrith NSW 2740

If we are able to recover your unpaid super and you would like to claim it, depending on your circumstances you can submit a departing Australia super payment (DASP) request.

You can confirm your eligibility for DASP as well as how to claim your super on our website.

The tax rate that will be applied to your DASP will depend on the type of visa you held when in Australia. If you held a working holiday maker (WHM) visa, the higher DASP WHM tax rate will apply. If not, the lower DASP ordinary tax rate will apply.

For more information about DASP for working holiday makers and how DASP is taxed, once again check out our website.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, ChrisR

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Denniz

Thanks for your post.

Once you lodge your unpaid super enquiry, we will keep you updated on our progress. If you're registered with myGov, we will send your progress letters to your myGov inbox. If not, we will issue them to your postal address.

For more information about our process when investigating your enquiry, check out our website. It explains all of the steps in the process and when we will update you on the progress.

Some investigations take longer than others. Some can be resolved in a few months or so while others can take years. If a super guarantee charge (SGC) assessment is raised, the longer it has taken, the more interest you will usually be entitled to.

You can find out more about how SGC works on our website.

If you are unable to call us, you can send an email to SuperAdvice@ato.gov.au or letter to:

Australian Taxation Office

PO Box 3100

Penrith NSW 2740

If we are able to recover your unpaid super and you would like to claim it, depending on your circumstances you can submit a departing Australia super payment (DASP) request.

You can confirm your eligibility for DASP as well as how to claim your super on our website.

The tax rate that will be applied to your DASP will depend on the type of visa you held when in Australia. If you held a working holiday maker (WHM) visa, the higher DASP WHM tax rate will apply. If not, the lower DASP ordinary tax rate will apply.

For more information about DASP for working holiday makers and how DASP is taxed, once again check out our website.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, ChrisR