Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

TRANSFERRING ATO HELD SUPER TO NEW ZEALAND SUPER FUND

I'm new

Views 122

Replies 1

I live in New Zealand, and have recently received a letter from my previous Super Fund in Australia to advise that, as my account with them was closed, they have refunded money to the ATO and that monies are retained for me as ATO Held Super. How do I go about getting this money transferred to my New Zealand super fund (Kiwisaver)? I have not reached the age of retirement, so assume I will not be able to get these funds transferred to my Australian bank account, which is still open.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Champion

Replies 0

Hi ROOBOO31,

Welcome to ATO Community!

Currently, the only way to transfer your retirement savings held in Australia to a KiwiSaver scheme is through an APRA-Regulated superannuation fund (e.g. a large, public offer super fund).

To do this, you would first need to be (or become) a member of an APRA-Regulated superannuation fund. Importantly, you should contact the fund to check they will accept a transfer of your ATO-held super, and, that they also provide a service for members to transfer their retirement savings to a KiwiSaver scheme.

Unfortunately, ATO-held super cannot be transferred directly from the ATO to a KiwiSaver scheme at this stage.

To transfer ATO-held super to your fund, you can begin the process by contacting the ATO through phone or Skype using the overseas number +61 2 6216 1111 8.00am–5.00pm (AEST) Monday–Friday. 

For more information on the process, the ATO website has some useful guidance.

This is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Champion

Replies 0

Hi ROOBOO31,

Welcome to ATO Community!

Currently, the only way to transfer your retirement savings held in Australia to a KiwiSaver scheme is through an APRA-Regulated superannuation fund (e.g. a large, public offer super fund).

To do this, you would first need to be (or become) a member of an APRA-Regulated superannuation fund. Importantly, you should contact the fund to check they will accept a transfer of your ATO-held super, and, that they also provide a service for members to transfer their retirement savings to a KiwiSaver scheme.

Unfortunately, ATO-held super cannot be transferred directly from the ATO to a KiwiSaver scheme at this stage.

To transfer ATO-held super to your fund, you can begin the process by contacting the ATO through phone or Skype using the overseas number +61 2 6216 1111 8.00am–5.00pm (AEST) Monday–Friday. 

For more information on the process, the ATO website has some useful guidance.

This is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time.