Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

Wondering if I will be taxed at 68% or 35%

Views 118

Replies 1

Hi, 

I left Australia 2020, and I held working holiday visa from 2013 to 2014, student visa from 2014 to 2019, and temporary graduate visa 2019 to 2021 May. Since my visa was expired this month, I wanted to claim a superannuation refund so I just checked my Superannuation history. And I found out that my very first super account was opened on 01 February 2016. It seems to be that I did not have superannuation paid while I held the working holiday visa. In this case, what would be the right tax rate for the superannuation refund?

Thank you very much in advance for answering my question!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @kwo0529

If any contributions are made to a super fund when you hold a working holiday maker visa, the entire payment from that fund is taxed at the WHM rate.

Because you don't have any contributions made while on a working holiday maker visa, you won't be taxed under WHM rates. The ordinary rate (35% or 45% depending on the element) will apply.

You can read about how DASP is taxed on our website.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @kwo0529

If any contributions are made to a super fund when you hold a working holiday maker visa, the entire payment from that fund is taxed at the WHM rate.

Because you don't have any contributions made while on a working holiday maker visa, you won't be taxed under WHM rates. The ordinary rate (35% or 45% depending on the element) will apply.

You can read about how DASP is taxed on our website.