• 23304 Members
  • 27270 Posts

ATO Community

Public Transport to clients

Ask a question
Highlighted

Views 373

Replies 1

I work as a consultant and as part of my job I work at the location of different clients each week. I am usually at each client for about a week before going onto the next one. I only occasionally work from my companies office. I use public transport for all my journeys. Some of my clients are regional and so the regional trains can be quite expensive for me. Can I claim any of my costs for this?

I also receive a small allowance each month for these costs however it's much less than my costs each month.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Josh12,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Generally speaking, you can claim the cost of travelling from your home to an alternative workplace that is not a regular workplace for work purposes, and then to your normal workplace or directly home. This does not apply where the alternative workplace has become a regular workplace. You may also be able to claim the cost of bus and train fares which relate to work.

However, in your situation it may need to be determined what is considered to be your regular workplace. We've answered a similar post about regular workplace.

As we can provide general information here on our Community, if you'd like to receive a more tailored response relating to your specific situation, you can contact our Early engagement team by submitting a request form or requesting a call back and an officer will contact you to discuss further.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Josh12,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Generally speaking, you can claim the cost of travelling from your home to an alternative workplace that is not a regular workplace for work purposes, and then to your normal workplace or directly home. This does not apply where the alternative workplace has become a regular workplace. You may also be able to claim the cost of bus and train fares which relate to work.

However, in your situation it may need to be determined what is considered to be your regular workplace. We've answered a similar post about regular workplace.

As we can provide general information here on our Community, if you'd like to receive a more tailored response relating to your specific situation, you can contact our Early engagement team by submitting a request form or requesting a call back and an officer will contact you to discuss further.

Thanks, JodieH.

Top Solution Authors