• 200 Online
  • 15601 Members
  • 18283 Posts

ATO Community

Spanish Contractor

Ask a question

This conversation has been closed. Please start a new thread.

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 301

Replies 1

Good Morning, we are an AustralianTour Operator and recently contracted a Spanish person to do some work for us.

When receiving their invoice, we checked the number he put on this invoice here: http://www.vatcheck.eu/

They dont show up as registered like all European contractors do. Hence we began to investigate.

We found the number he gave us was his NIF - they said this is a PERSONAL INVOICE not a BUSINESS INVOICE.

They say that" there is a system in Spain through which you can declare at the end of the year the "extra jobs" or works that you have been paid for. There is no need to register as a freelance (you can combine this with other jobs) and make invoices with your personal details"

We are very wary about paying this person as we believe they are not a true Independent Contractor as he has signed his contracts to be.

If someone has any information or can assist that would be great!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @SSYF,

Welcome to our Community!  Thanks for your question.

The ATO administers the Australia Tax and Super system.  If the contractor is European based, you will need to contact the relevant Spanish Tax Authority to understand their tax treatment of contractors.

I hope this helps, JodieM

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @SSYF,

Welcome to our Community!  Thanks for your question.

The ATO administers the Australia Tax and Super system.  If the contractor is European based, you will need to contact the relevant Spanish Tax Authority to understand their tax treatment of contractors.

I hope this helps, JodieM

Top Solution Authors