Announcements
COVID-19 update: We expect to publish updates on the JobKeeper payment soon. For other questions, check out the COVID-19 board.

ATO Community

UBER delivery

Views 406

Replies 1

I have been reading about people who work with UBER Eats / Menulog, etc who have been not asked for their ABN to start working with them. Is here when I'm confused about the treatment of employee vs subcontractors for people in this type of "employment".

According to the ATO there is a difference between employee or a contractor, and I understand both. However, those who are not employees for any of the food delivery companies are not subcontractors either as they are NO carrying an enterprise, they just simply work doing the task of deliverying food. In this case, is their work considered to be Personal Service Income (PSI) instead? 

Lots of international students are working for UBER Eats, but because they are not asked for an ABN there is a huge misinterpretation about reporting this income and WHERE in the tax return is supposed to be disclosed.

thank you Smiley Happy 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Taxicorn

Replies 0

Ubereats or any other food delivery service needs an ABN as they are conducting an enterprise.

These are free (never pay for them!) from here https://www.ato.gov.au/business/international-tax-for-business/foreign-residents-doing-business-in-a...

No need to Register for GST if turnover is below $75,000

The Uber Eats income and expenses are declared at Item 15 on the individual income tax.

Also check out this Tax Wiki

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Taxicorn

Replies 0

Ubereats or any other food delivery service needs an ABN as they are conducting an enterprise.

These are free (never pay for them!) from here https://www.ato.gov.au/business/international-tax-for-business/foreign-residents-doing-business-in-a...

No need to Register for GST if turnover is below $75,000

The Uber Eats income and expenses are declared at Item 15 on the individual income tax.

Also check out this Tax Wiki