Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

tax to be withheld for unused annual leave payment

Initiate

Views 443

Replies 2

Hi, there

We had an employee who has just resigned and I am working on his final pay for unused annual leave.

We pay fortnightly and his normal gross income is around $500 and no tax withheld for his fornighly pay. His unused annual leave value is around $2000. Using ATO marginal rates calculations, I found that even with ($2000/26=$76)added to his normal fortnightly pay, that amount is still tax free. 

Does that mean when I process his unused annual leave payment, no tax should be withheld? If not, how much tax should be withheld?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hiya @KC20201,

That's correct. The reason being at $500 a fortnight, even with the extra $2000, their income would only hit $15,000 for the full year. Leaving it all tax free. (This is what that calculation works out for you)

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hiya @KC20201,

That's correct. The reason being at $500 a fortnight, even with the extra $2000, their income would only hit $15,000 for the full year. Leaving it all tax free. (This is what that calculation works out for you)

Initiate

Replies 0

@StephATO  Thank you so much!