Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

Re: Are FHSS non-concessional contributions tax deductible?

Views 159

Replies 2

If I put $10k (after tax/ non-concessional) into my super this year, can I claim that $10k as a tax deduction AND also have it included in my FHSS amount? Or is it one or the other?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

If you choose to not claim a tax deduction, the contribution remains non-concessional and you are able to withdraw the full $10,000 for FHSS.

If you choose to claim a tax deduction, the contribution becomes concessional.  It will be taxed at 15% within the fund.  You would only be able to withdraw $8,500 of that amount for FHSS.

Claiming a tax deduction is the better option for most people as they would save more than $1,500 in personal tax when claiming a $10,000 deduction for the contributions.  

If the contribution is concessional you will also need to pay tax on the amount you withdraw.  You receive a 30% tax offset on that amount, so the net amount of tax payable would be a small amount if you income is in the 34.5% marginal tax range.

This page from the ATO website contains further details.

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

If you choose to not claim a tax deduction, the contribution remains non-concessional and you are able to withdraw the full $10,000 for FHSS.

If you choose to claim a tax deduction, the contribution becomes concessional.  It will be taxed at 15% within the fund.  You would only be able to withdraw $8,500 of that amount for FHSS.

Claiming a tax deduction is the better option for most people as they would save more than $1,500 in personal tax when claiming a $10,000 deduction for the contributions.  

If the contribution is concessional you will also need to pay tax on the amount you withdraw.  You receive a 30% tax offset on that amount, so the net amount of tax payable would be a small amount if you income is in the 34.5% marginal tax range.

This page from the ATO website contains further details.

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi JarrodM

Yes, you can claim a tax deduction for the $10,000 and also have it included in your FHSS amount.

But as Glenn4802 says, this would reduce the amount that can be released from super to $8,500, as the contribution would become part of the fund's taxable income once you advise them that you're intending to claim a tax deduction for it. This part of the fund's income is taxed at 15%.

But unless you're on a low income you'll end up ahead overall once you receive a tax refund thanks to the deduction. ie unless you're on a low income you'll receive more than $1,500 as a tax refund so you'll have more savings overall.

I'm an ATO employee voluntarily providing my time here