Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

FHSS

Views 122

Replies 1

Hi 

I have contributed to my super for FHSS two years, first year 15,000$ & second year 20,000$, hoping that I can withdraw 30,000 after tax. Now that I want to release the FHSS and buy my first home, I can only withdraw 26,296$. 

Can you please advise what is the best way to withdraw 30,000$ as the FHSS cap? 

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Golsh 

If you only make concessional contributions (through salary sacrifice or claiming a deduction for personal contributions) towards the FHSS scheme, your maximum release amount will be calculated on:

• 85% of your eligible concessional contributions, and
  • your associated earnings on your eligible concessional.

Only 85% of your concessional contributions are included because these contributions are subject to a concessional tax rate of 15% in your super fund.

It’s worth keeping in mind that only up to a maximum of $15,000 of eligible contributions can be withdrawn from any one year, even if you contribute more than $15,000.

So using the figures you’ve provided, if you only made concessional contributions, your maximum release amount would be $25,500 (plus associated earnings, e.g. $796) and would include the following amounts from each year:

• Year 1 - $12,750 (85% of $15,000 eligible concessional contributions)
  • Year 2 - $12,750 (85% of $15,000 eligible concessional contributions)

Only $15,000 of the $20,000 contributed in year 2 is eligible – this is because there is a total limit of $30,000 of eligible contributions across all years.

If you also make non-concessional contributions (such as personal contributions which you don’t claim as tax deduction), then your maximum release amount is calculated as:

• 100% of your eligible non-concessional contributions
  • your associated earnings on both the eligible concessional and non-concessional contributions.

You can find more information on calculating the maximum release amount in LCR 2018/5 (paragraphs 18 and 21) and GN 2018/1.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Golsh 

If you only make concessional contributions (through salary sacrifice or claiming a deduction for personal contributions) towards the FHSS scheme, your maximum release amount will be calculated on:

• your associated earnings on your eligible concessional.

Only 85% of your concessional contributions are included because these contributions are subject to a concessional tax rate of 15% in your super fund.

It’s worth keeping in mind that only up to a maximum of $15,000 of eligible contributions can be withdrawn from any one year, even if you contribute more than $15,000.

So using the figures you’ve provided, if you only made concessional contributions, your maximum release amount would be $25,500 (plus associated earnings, e.g. $796) and would include the following amounts from each year:

• Year 1 - $12,750 (85% of $15,000 eligible concessional contributions)
  • Year 2 - $12,750 (85% of $15,000 eligible concessional contributions)

Only $15,000 of the $20,000 contributed in year 2 is eligible – this is because there is a total limit of $30,000 of eligible contributions across all years.

If you also make non-concessional contributions (such as personal contributions which you don’t claim as tax deduction), then your maximum release amount is calculated as:

• 100% of your eligible non-concessional contributions
  • your associated earnings on both the eligible concessional and non-concessional contributions.

You can find more information on calculating the maximum release amount in LCR 2018/5 (paragraphs 18 and 21) and GN 2018/1.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks