Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

I recently purchased a vacant land with money I received from my deceased father's estate.

Views 387

Replies 2

I recently purchased a vacant land with money I received from my deceased father's estate.  I do not have enough money to construct a home on it.  I also lost my first home due to bankruptcy and am currently renting.  Am I entitled to apply to access my superannuation under the FHSS scheme to construct a home on the vacant land that I recently purchased?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Marysmith1,

Though there are financial hardship provisions. for those who have previously been bankrupt and lost their property as a result, in order to be eligible for a determination form to be accepted, you must not have acquired a subsequent interest in real property in Australia since you lost the property as a result of financial hardship.

Under these grounds, because you have acquired vacant land, you would not be eligible for a first home super saver scheme release.

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Marysmith1,

Though there are financial hardship provisions. for those who have previously been bankrupt and lost their property as a result, in order to be eligible for a determination form to be accepted, you must not have acquired a subsequent interest in real property in Australia since you lost the property as a result of financial hardship.

Under these grounds, because you have acquired vacant land, you would not be eligible for a first home super saver scheme release.

Replies 0

Thank you for your reply.  Really appreciated.