Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

COVID-19 support - JobKeeper payment

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Community Moderator

Views 40534

Replies 55

JobKeeper newsfeed image.png

To claim payments for April, employers need to pay eligible employees by 8 May and enrol online and identify these employees by 31 May. See our JobKeeper guides for step-by-step instructions.

What is the JobKeeper payment?

The Australian Government has announced a JobKeeper payment to help keep more people in jobs by providing wage subsidies to businesses that are significantly affected by COVID-19.

The $1500 (before tax) fortnightly payment will be paid directly to eligible employees through their employers. Employees will receive notification from their employer if they will receive the payment. 

If you’re an employee, you don’t need to apply for JobKeeper. Your employer will let you know if they intend to claim the payment on your behalf.

If you’re an employer, business or sole trader the first thing you need to do is check that you and your employees are eligible and continue to pay them at least $1,500 per fortnight starting from 30 March.

Employees and employers can check their eligibility on the JobKeeper page on our website and find answers to common questions in our JobKeeper knowledge base article

55 REPLIES 55

Initiate

Replies 0

Some advice please from people in the know.

I am a small business owner that has had his business turnover slashed by over 50%. My business is registered as a company. I am registering for 'JobKeeper' to look after my employees, however is this payment something I'm entitled to as well as an owner. Do I as an owner need to be paying myself a regular wage, or is this something that is automatically paid to the owner as well regardless to assist them with other payments such as rent, cost of goods etc.

Initiate

Replies 0

How to we financially fund the wages untill we are remburst.

Why would some employees come to work to get $1500 a fortnight and to have other sstay at home reciving the same amount

There is no incentive  for staff to work if ther colleges are being paid the same to stay at home?

Is there an diffrence here in the payment?

I'm new

Replies 0

Hi

I would like to know how is turnover calculated for a charity who has government block funding, donations, bequests income and fundraising income, Fee for service and other income. Are all these income included to determine the 15% drop to turnover compared to a comparable period last year?

Also, if the charity is eligible in a given month or a quarter (based on how they lodge their BAS), will eligibility for next month or next quarter be determined again?

Thank you.

Former Community Support

Replies 0

@zoltan @PeterM @melindan thank you all for your questions. The Jobkeeper payment is still being discussed in Parliament so there could be changes before it becomes law. While we can't provide certain answers at this stage, we recommend registering for updates through our website and we'll contact you when we have more information. 

I'm new

Replies 0

Hi, I am a long term part time employee who qualifies for this payment and who’s employers business is in retail and must of  suffered and qualifies for the JobKeeper payments to its employees. I asked my boss about this and him applying and registering for us employees. He said he is not interested in registering but will maybe look into it. This seems total stupid not to and a no brainer. Could there be underlying issues as to why he doesn’t want to register? Could it be he’s not registering till the law/bill is passed as he doesn’t want to pay us out of his own pocket till he can receive it from the ATO? Could it just be he doesn’t want to bear the payroll burden to pay us employees? Could it be he’s going to close up completely? If I’m not laid off I can’t apply for JobSeeker? We are just left in limbo getting nothing. Can we apply separately to the ATO somehow and get payments from them instead if the employer isn’t interested in registering but also isn’t letting us go?

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @PeterA1

Thanks for reaching out to us. We understand how frustrating it must be.

As an employee, your employer will need to apply for the JobKeeper payment. Based on our current information, this isn't something that you can do yourself, unless of course you are also self employed and meet the requirements.

It is important to keep in mind that we are currently working through the JobKeeper payment legislation. We will be updating the information on our website soon. In the meantime, you can check out the JobKeeper payment page on the Treasury website.

As to why your employer has chosen not to register their interest, you will need to have a chat with them to find out why. As you suggested, perhaps they were simply waiting for the legislation to be passed.

If you would like to check out some of the other options that may be available to you, have a look at the COVID-19 response page on our website. It contains links to a variety of options, e.g. early release of super, that you may be eligible for.

We also have a COVID-19 support – jobkeeper payment Knowledge Base Article that you can check out. We will continue to update it as more information becomes available.

We hope you found this information helpful. Good luck with it all.

Thanks, ChrisR

Initiate

Replies 0

Hi ,

Accordingly to JobKeeper payment- FAQ that posted on website- https://treasury.gov.au/coronavirus/jobkeeper , It stated 

"WHAT ARE THE ELIGIBLE PAYMENT PERIODS FOR REIMBURSEMENT FOR A JOBKEEPER
SUBSIDY?
Employers will need to satisfy payment requirements for their eligible employees in respect of each 14 day
period covered by the scheme. The first period starts on Monday 30 March 2020 and ends on
Sunday 12 April 2020."

Is it mean that we need to top up the payment 12/04/2020 in order to qualify the job keeper payment? Or we can pay as normal, and top up the balance at the end of the month (till we knew our business dropped more than 30%) ?

I am not sure what to do right now.

Replies 0

I am a business owner and my question is regarding eligibilty when we report BAS quarterly.
If I compare my 2019 March quarter to my March 2020 quarter, it will only show that it's down 14%, but if I compare each individual month, it paints a different picture - example;
Jan 2020 is up 5% from Jan 2019
Feb 2020 is up 6% from Feb 2019
Mar 2020 is down 50% from Feb 2019

Would that make my business ineligible for JobKeeper?

Initiate

Replies 0

A question - if an eligible employer has identified 20 eligible employees, is the employer required to nominat all 20 to receive job keeper payments?