Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

FHSS tax applicable for off-the-plan purchase?

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

I'm new

Views 1130

Replies 1

Dear sir or madam,

I have purchased my first home before 1/7/2017 and paid 5% deposit already. However, I read the FHSS scheme and found a key thing oulined here:

don't sign your contract to purchase or construct your home until after we have released your money or you man be liable to pay FHSS tax. 

I am wondering if off-the-plan is subject to FHSS tax or I still can apply for FHSS and enjoy FHSS tax free for my other half of the deposit in 2 years time? It is going to settle early 2020.

Kind regards,

Diandian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @diandianw

Thanks for your question.

I recgonise you may not have moved in yet having bought off the plan, however the fact that you've paid a deposit suggests that you already 'hold real property in Australia', and would therefore not be eligible for the scheme.

On a positive note - congratulations on the recent purchase!

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @diandianw

Thanks for your question.

I recgonise you may not have moved in yet having bought off the plan, however the fact that you've paid a deposit suggests that you already 'hold real property in Australia', and would therefore not be eligible for the scheme.

On a positive note - congratulations on the recent purchase!

Thanks