Announcements
Looking for answers? Search our popular topics or ask a new question.

ATO Community

Instant tax write off to buy new car

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Highlighted

Views 752

Replies 2

Hi, I want to buy a new car under the $30,000 instant tax write off. The car is very close to that amount, slightly over. When I’m claiming for the asset can I claim the base purchase price, rego, CTP and delivery costs and GST separately?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @lcorser74,

Thanks for getting in touch!

When claiming the instant asset write off the entire cost of the asset must be less than the instant asset write-off threshold, currently $30,000.

If you're registered for GST and can claim the full GST credit your instant asset write-off threshold is exclusive of any GST.

If you're not registered for GST your instant asset write-off threshold is inclusive of any GST.

You can find more information about simpler depreciation for small business on our website.

Hope this helps, JodieH.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 1

No.

They all form part of the purchase price.

Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @lcorser74,

Thanks for getting in touch!

When claiming the instant asset write off the entire cost of the asset must be less than the instant asset write-off threshold, currently $30,000.

If you're registered for GST and can claim the full GST credit your instant asset write-off threshold is exclusive of any GST.

If you're not registered for GST your instant asset write-off threshold is inclusive of any GST.

You can find more information about simpler depreciation for small business on our website.

Hope this helps, JodieH.