Announcements
Curious about the JobMaker Hiring Credit? Have a read about who is eligible and how to register.

ATO Community

Medical expenses

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 801

Replies 2

Hello.
Trying to find out if I can claim any medical expenses at tax time.
I had an injured/worn out shoulder that needed surgery, the waiting time on Government Hospital was 18months, I don't have medical insurance .
The pain was unbearable and affecting my Quality of life and I definitely could not bear the pain for a year and a half so I went and took a loan to pay for the surgery, all up it was over 6000 dollars, my question is can I claim any of this against my tax?
Troy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 0

No, I'm afraid you can no longer claim any medical expenses in your tax.

The end of the 2018-2019 income year, taxpayers can only claim the net medical expenses tax offset for medical expenses that both meet:

• the current definition and eligibility requirements, and 
  • relate to disability aids, attendant care or aged care.

If your claim meets the new, restricted criteria, you may be entitled to claim a tax offset in the current financial year.

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 0

No, I'm afraid you can no longer claim any medical expenses in your tax.

The end of the 2018-2019 income year, taxpayers can only claim the net medical expenses tax offset for medical expenses that both meet:

• the current definition and eligibility requirements, and 
  • relate to disability aids, attendant care or aged care.

If your claim meets the new, restricted criteria, you may be entitled to claim a tax offset in the current financial year.

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Troyk,

Welcome to our Community.

@macfanboy is correct claiming medical expenses has changed, refer to our website for more information.

I hope this helps, SueO