ATO Community

Medicare levy

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 886

Replies 1

Last year my tax income was $47000 and I have private hospital for myself only.My partner is deaf and receives a centre link pension of $2333 her tax income .was$6404 and doesn't pay private hospital. Should I have to pay Medicare levy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @stevehalo

Welcome to our Community!

We can provide general information here about tax and super topics and we'd need to know more information about your situation to be able to provide a definite answer on our Community!

For you to be exempt from paying the Medicare levy your partner would need to meet one of the Medicare levy exemption criteria. You can find more information about the Medicare Levy exemption requirements on our website or check out our guide to Tax Time 2018: Completing the Medicare questions on your return. Alternatively you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to discuss your situation further with an operator. 

Thanks, JodieH. 

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @stevehalo

Welcome to our Community!

We can provide general information here about tax and super topics and we'd need to know more information about your situation to be able to provide a definite answer on our Community!

For you to be exempt from paying the Medicare levy your partner would need to meet one of the Medicare levy exemption criteria. You can find more information about the Medicare Levy exemption requirements on our website or check out our guide to Tax Time 2018: Completing the Medicare questions on your return. Alternatively you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to discuss your situation further with an operator. 

Thanks, JodieH.