Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Quick question

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Highlighted

Enthusiast

Views 539

Replies 1

If I've made many trades throughout the year, and I'm finding it difficult/impossible to work out tax obligations due to (foreign exchanges not linked to AUD, exchange rates on any given day/minute etc, dodgy exchange records that are extremely difficult to interpret).

Would a solution simply be to sell everything now, get it into one currency like BTC, get the AUD value to determine how much I've made up until this point (so I can report this to ATO), then buy back in, making sure to keep records on something like cointracking.info?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

According to the ATO's rules, no this is not a solution as you need to report on all trades, not just the last ones where you convert to AUD.  I think you should get an accountant, preferably one who is already versed on cryptocurrencies and the related tax rules, and start working out a strategy with them.  

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

According to the ATO's rules, no this is not a solution as you need to report on all trades, not just the last ones where you convert to AUD.  I think you should get an accountant, preferably one who is already versed on cryptocurrencies and the related tax rules, and start working out a strategy with them.